Based on Governor Lee’s recommendation stated during his press conference on April 15, Houston County Schools will remain closed through the rest of the 2019-2020 school year.
Food for Children:
Houston County Schools will serve free meals for children 18 years of age and under. The child does not have to be enrolled in Houston County Schools to receive a meal and these meals are available to ALL students regardless of free or reduced lunch status. The child does not You will be asked to give the child's name at pick up. Please pick up at only one of the following locations:
Erin Elementary School - 6500 Highway 13 Erin TN 37061 - Front car rider entrance
Tennessee Ridge Elementary School - 135 School St TN Ridge TN 37178 - Front Entrance
Houston County Middle School - 3460 W Main St Erin TN 37061 - Front Entrance
The next scheduled pick up date for food is Tuesday, May 19, 2020 from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm.
Note: We are very encouraged that many families are picking up school meals on designated days and times. Recently, however, with good intentions, information was provided to some families that in order for our school system to receive reimbursement funding, "ALL" families had to participate in our school meal pickups. That is not correct, our school system will receive funding for the meals served. It is not a requirement for all families to pick up meals to receive funding. If you have planned to pick up school meals, please continue as planned. Again, there is no requirement or state guideline that requires families to pick up school meals.
While nothing can replace face-to-face interaction with an educator, access to instructional materials is essential during an extended closure.
Beginning the April 22, Houston County Schools will offer optional assignments and activities to keep students engaged throughout the COVID-19 shutdown. Each school is responsible for sharing information about the assignments and activities, via teacher websites, google classroom, etc.
Houston County Middle School teachers will be posting optional assignments and activities to their teacher web pages. To access HCMS teacher web pages, click here.
Houston County High Schools learning opportunities are posted here.
In addition to the optional assignments and activities from teachers, you can also find multiple resources listed below.
- Tennessee is partnering with PBS television to offer daily programming with teachers providing lessons (MORE INFO).
- Tennessee is partnering with ReadyRosie to provide free reading resources for children from birth to 3rd grade. Click here to sign up.
- ACT Academy is a FREE online resource that provides personalized practice and can be used by students at all grade levels. Click here to access ACT Academy.
- Tennessee Electronic Library - Sign up for a FREE library card and start checking out electronic books, audio books, and much more. To get your FREE library card and check out books and other resources go to: https:tntel.info/ and complete the following steps:
- Click on 'Students' on the bar menu.
- Click the category that best describes your grade level.
- Click the e-books and audio books link.
- Select Houston County Public Library from the drop down menu.
- Click submit.
- Enter your mobile phone number.
- Finally, enter the verification code that you receive on your phone.